January 7, 2018

L. A. Confidential



I woke at 5 as we were making our way into the San Pedro cruise port.  It’s the secondary port to the neighboring Long Beach cruise port.  I could hear sea lions barking in the early morning hours.  As the sun came up I could see that the surrounding area was commercial port as far as I could see.  Later, as we bused around, I saw the scale.  It boggles my mind – the logistics.  

Our excursion was a bus tour called “Postcards of Los Angeles.” 

We drove by the usual sites:  Staples Center, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Capitol Records, the Disney theater (typical Frank Gehry building,) Dolby Theater, Grauman’s Chinese Theater, the Hollywood sign, Marilyn Monroe’s house, Beverly Hills, Chateau Marmont, Whiskey a Go Go, etc., etc.
 


After the tour we hopped the shuttle to Long Beach to run errands.  Everybody on the ship seemed to have the same idea.  Target was a popular destination.  We ran into a couple that rented a car to do their shopping, which included a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond for shoe racks, shelving, and hooks.  Apparently, they didn't think their stateroom was organized enough.  We hiked a couple miles to the bank to get some cash.  We need small bills to tip the tour guides and bus drivers.  Beyond that, we’re not using much money.  Also, went to the Columbia outlet store (because I don't already have enough clothes!)  And, Bob took Uber to Best Buy (because he doesn't already have enough electronics!)

The following day-more of the same, plus I walked about 6 miles, a treat not to be on deck and going in circles.  Back on the ship, I sat on our veranda and watched crew and passengers coming back laden with bags.  Funny what different people find that they can't live without.  I saw a man lugging cases of 7-Up (only Sprite on board) and a crew member carrying bags of junk food.

In summary-the weather was perfect; the traffic was horrendous; the homeless were abundant.











1 comment:

  1. I look forward to your posts. You're almost making me want to go with you next year...

    ReplyDelete

Whaduya think?