February 19, 2018

Bob snorkels The Great Barrier Reef

Although I have some trepidation about snorkeling, I was really looking forward to this excursion out at The Great Barrier Reef.  I've only snorkeled once before and that was about 30 years ago.  If I keep my glasses on, I get leaks, but I can see.  If I take my glasses off, no leakage, but I can't see.  Add to that, we're told that jellyfish might be an issue and we need to don a Lycra body suit for protection. 

Our catamaran boat holds two hundred people and takes an hour and a half to get to the stationary platform out in the sea. 
We tie up to the covered platform which houses the equipment, tables, benches and changing areas, showers and toilets.  It's all too overwhelming for me, just too many people.  I opt to do just the glass-bottom boat which is moored to the platform.  Not far from the platform is another platform that acts as a helicopter landing pad for those who want a 10 minute scenic ride over the area (for a fee, of course.)

Pictures from the glass-bottom boat are a bit murky, very little color.  The guide claims the color or lack of color comes from what the coral is eating.  Having just listened to an alarming podcast on coral bleaching, I'm skeptical.


 Meanwhile, Bob is in his full-body black Lycra.  Sorry, no picture.  He goes out on a guided marine-biologist lead swim and then snorkels on his own for a while longer. 
Bob had a good time.  For me it was just a long hot boat ride.

Back on shore, we strolled the Esplanade, stopped for a beer and some air conditioning, and back to the ship.

We learned later that another catamaran had gone out that was 1/3 the size of ours.  We were unlucky to draw the short straw and get the mammoth boat.  I would have been more comfortable in a smaller venue with more personal attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whaduya think?